Friday, March 22, 2013

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone: AbracaDumb!


Twelve-year-old Ryan here.  Someone has asked me who my favorite actor is and I don't even have to think about it.  I know right away.  I don't even have to look over to my vastly growing movie collection and see my collection of his films resting right on top of the rest.  I don't have to see each VHS box arranged alphabetically ranging from his most famous films to those no one knows about that I had to spend a pretty penny for at Virgin Records.  No, I can confidently say my favorite actor is Jim Carrey.  Why, you ask?  Because the man is a genius.  He can show his wild and crazy side as evident in Ace Ventura, The Mask, and my personal favorite, Liar Liar.  He can also show his darker side as shown in The Cable Guy and Man on the Moon.  But, above all, the guy can show his acting chops as we've seen in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (anachronism aside, I still know it's great).  He's my all-time favorite actor, and I know he'll always be.

2013 Ryan back in.  Boy, it's been awhile since I've seen a movie I really like with Jim Carrey in it.  Yes Man was underwhelming and while Mr. Popper's Penguins was cute... it wasn't really for me.  I've been waiting for that comeback film for me to fall in love with him again, because I gotta say my love has faded significantly.  What's this? A new trailer for a film with a powerhouse comedy cast?  Steve Carrell, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin, AND JIM CARREY?!?!?!?! Too good to be true?  It has to be.  There wasn't this good of a comedy line-up back when I was twelve!  It has to, obviously, be that diamond in the rough; that one film to bring Carrey back from the stone age of comedy; that perfect film with the perfect blend of comedy and heart; that film that reminds us why Jim Carrey was the greatest of all time and how Steve Carrell is best having left The Office; it just has to be!  Right?

God, I wanted love The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.  I wanted it to be everything I dreamed of and more.  Ever since I happened upon it on IMDB, I wanted it to be so much more.  Then, when I saw the trailer and it didn't even move me to chuckle, deep down I wished that the people responsible for cutting the trailer did their best to hide the funniest parts (everything else) so that nothing was spoiled and everyone would fall in love with it.  Then, when I finally watched the film... I wanted to love it so much.  I wanted each tired and unfunny joke to be something it wasn't.  But, it wasn't.  It wasn't at all.  And I can't figure out why.

For those who aren't privy to the film, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, follows to tale of Burt (Steve Carrell) and Anton (Steve Buscemi), two magician partners who've performed the same tired magical acts for years.  They've grown apart and their tricks have failed to impress as of late.  In comes Steve Gray (Jim Carrey) a, sort of, Criss Angel of a "magician" who really has no tricks at all, but more like stunts that are really strange and, I suppose, impressive.  His new age brand of magic pushes Burt out of the spotlight and out of a job.  Though, at this point into the film, no one really gives a shit.  Burt is an asshole.  Anton is a puss.  And Steve is a prick.  One of these guys will have to learn a lesson sooner or later, and if the title of the film is any indication of who it will be, I'll give you one guess.

The problem with the film isn't its plot, it's the script.  There's nothing new about Burt Wonderstone, nothing at all.  It's jokes are as stale as a piece of toast with none of the fixings.  Carell should've been the Peanut Butter and Carrey the jelly, but unfortunately, someone forgot to go to the store.  Everything about this film feels recycled.  There's even a moment where Buscemi and Carrell are holding onto a platform high above the ground, Carrell slips and grabs hold of Buscemi's pants which rip exposing his boxer shorts.  This is 2013 classic comedy here, folks.  Save for one scene with Carrey, which truly had me laughing till I cried, there is nothing funny or redeemable about this film.

It's just perplexing to figure out how all of these talented actors agreed to do such a trite and mundane film.  How did Steve Carrell agree when we know he's capable of higher comedy (Crazy Stupid Love, Little Miss Sunshine)?  How did Steve Buscemi agree when we know that he's one of the best character actors of our time (Fargo, Boardwalk Empire)?  How did they rope in Alan Arkin-- a man who can take any script and make it better just with his presence (Argo, Little Miss Sunshine)?  But, Jim.  Oh, Jim.  I understand the role of the douchy villain was probably more fun than being clinically depressed, doing children's movies, and breaking up with Jenny McCarthy, but, man, I gotta be honest... if Kick Ass 2 doesn't become your John-Travolta-Pulp-Fiction-Ultimate-Moviestar-Comeback role... I'm going to have to forget you for good.

For a movie that's supposed to be very magical, it is devoid of any such magic.  It's soul crushing because of everything it should have been and everything it turned out to be.  I'll tell you this much, however, if it had been made in 1991... the laughs would've been dead on.  That's how tired this movie is.  It's humor should have a nice room at Shady Acres with a bedpan resting beside it.

D+

No comments:

Post a Comment