Sunday, October 7, 2018

A Star Is Born: Hangin' With Mr. Cooper


So, I've had this blog for nearly seven years. Most of the time the movies that I choose to review are movies that I have some sort of desire (or curiosity) to see. There have been some terrible movies reviewed here - most I knew would be bad, some were surprising. But, since I don't have the time or the money to see every movie every week, I do have to pick and choose what's worth my time. And like most people, I do have a movie "taste". Sure, mine is a lot more expansive than most, but I do have a taste. And I'll tell you right now - A Star is Born is definitely outside the realm of my taste. When trailers first dropped months ago, I knew right away that this wasn't a movie for me. I didn't have any desire to watch ol' Bradley Cooper's directorial debut and I certainly didn't care about a love story starring Lady Gaga. I've never seen any of the other incantations of the film and dramatic romance flicks just aren't my bag. So, normally, this is one of the films that would release and leave without a review from myself. However, I do have a rule that I live by when it comes to this site and the movies I see: I have to see every movie nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. Now, Oscar nominations aren't released until around January, so there's no telling what's even going to get a nom. But, the more I'd been hearing and reading about A Star is Born, it seemed imminent that it was going to get one of the ten coveted spots. So, I figured I should just bite the bullet and see it. And, damn, am I glad I did.

If you've seen the Babs version, or the Judy Garland version, or even the 1937 version, you know the story. Though each story has its own twist to it, the overall narrative is essentially the same. Bradley Cooper is Jackson "Jack" Maine, a musician who is beginning his descent away from stardom. Sure, he's still on tour and he's still able to sell out amphitheaters, but his relevancy in the music industry is starting to fade. Jack is aware of this trend, so he's succumbing more and more to booze and pain meds (a lifestyle he began at a very early age that has only worsened). After one of his shows, and completely out of limo-booze, Jack asks his driver to stop at a local bar so he can get a drink. There, he discovers Ally (Lady Gaga) singing "La Vie En Rose" at a drag show. He's immediately overtaken by her voice and beauty. They spend the entire night together talking about their lives, their music, their songs, and essentially fall in love on the spot. The next day, Jack invites Ally to one of his shows. He pulls her on stage and the two sing a duet. This is the beginning of a very rocky and loving relationship with each other and with music. The two fall madly in love, and Ally's fame skyrockets until she's, like the title implies, a bonafide star. 

Now, if you had explained to me that this was the plot and it starred Cooper and Gaga, I wouldn't touch this movie with a fifty-foot pole. I know this is the type of story that a lot of people do enjoy, but I'm just not into the whole The Notebook-style dramatic romance. But, somehow A Star is Born transcended my expectations with the genre. This movie was fantastic. On the surface, sure, it does seem like a run-of-the-mill alcoholic musician falls in love with a woman who skyrockets to fame and the two have a rocky relationship until they figure it all out and live happily ever after. But that's not what's presented on screen. The movie is much different. Yes, their relationship is constantly on the ropes, but you never doubt the love they have for one another. Yes, Bradley Cooper plays an alcoholic musician, but it never veers into stereotypical musician biopic territory. Yes, Lady Gaga can actually sing, but she can also actually act. Yes, these two characters are very flawed people and decently unlikable a lot of the time... but you root for them. You want them to be together. When the "honeymoon phase" of their relationship wears off, you yearn for them to get back into that place because that's what we as an audience want to see. But the movie isn't what you expect. It's not all flowers and sunshine. It's a very dark film, with very dark themes, and it has stuck with me for the last two days. The feeling that has stuck isn't exactly a happy-go-lucky feeling, but the fact that it's been with me this long means the movie had a real impact.

What really elevated the movie for me, other than the story, are the strong performances from the entire cast. One of the things that I've heard a lot about the film is how outstanding Lady Gaga is in it. And she really is very good. It's not an easy thing to transition from pop star to serious actress and pull it off believably. Sure, the role doesn't seem so difficult as she really is a star, but there's so many layers to Ally's character that a lesser singer with lesser acting chops wouldn't have been able to pull off what she does. The supporting cast is phenomenal. Sam Elliot plays Jack's brother, and man that dude can still gut-punch. I never thought Sam Elliot would be able to get me choked up, but game, set and match, sir. Cooper also decided to cast a lot of former and current stand up comedians in the film in serious roles. Andrew Dice Clay shows up as Ally's father and he's amazing. He's a funny-ish character, but for those of you who actually remember who Clay is, you're going to see a side you never knew even existed. Dave Chappelle has a small role as Jack's old friend and it was nice to see him back on the big screen, even if it wasn't for anything comedic. Hell, even Eddie freakin' Griffin appears in a small scene. It's like Cooper knew that most comedians have a dark side to them (which is what fuels their comedy) and since this story is about a musician with a severe dark side that lends to his talent, it was a neat choice to see all of these comedians display their dramatic acting abilities. (Seriously, Andrew Dice Clay will break your heart in this).

But, as strong as all of the actors are in the film - it's Cooper's film from beginning to end. Not just because he directed the film, but this is the best acting performance I've ever seen from Bradley Cooper. I've always liked the guy. He's always had this affable quality to him that makes us want to watch his movies, but other than Silver Linings Playbook, I've never put too much serious thought into him as an actor. The dude blew me out of the water in this. He's damn near unrecognizable in the role. He plays Jackson Maine with such a hardened vulnerability, it's like Cooper himself has aged twenty years and just resurfaced from a vacation in a barrel of whiskey. The movie wouldn't have had such a lasting impact on me if it wasn't for his unbelievable performance. I know it's still a little early, and we're just about to hit serious Oscar season, but as of right now Bradley Cooper's performance in this movie is above and beyond the best of the year. Not only does he deserve a nomination, but he deserves the Oscar now. Don't even bother to nominate anyone else - and I'm dead serious about that.

The movie is also directed so well, you'd never guess it was Cooper's first time. It's like the guy is a thirty year veteran in film, but this apparently has been Cooper's passion project for a long time and it really shows. The concert sequences feel like you're right in the middle of an actual rock star's performance. The "romantic" moments have all of the goofy, awkward, even uncomfortable beats that real-life moments have and deserve. He pays a lot of respect to his actors and it's legitimately one of the best films of the year. The cherry on top is that the music is so damn good as well. Not all of the original songs in the film are perfect, but 90% of them will stick in your brain, you're going to have to seek the soundtrack out and listen to it a hundred times just to get it out. It's been awhile since original music performed in a film has been able to give its audience such an emotional attachment to its singers. And the ending of the film should leave no dry eye in the theater.

It doesn't matter if you think A Star is Born is your "thing" or not, you should see this movie. It has something for everyone and it's such a well written piece about love and loss and addiction and the toils of fame and everything in between. Bolstered by a strong performance by Lady Gaga and the best performance of Bradley Cooper's career (both acting-wise and now directing-wise), A Star is Born is legitimately one of the best pictures of the year. And it's a movie that will and should haunt you for awhile.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment