Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Big Peck's Cineflex Original List: The Top 5 Best Movie Franchises of All Time


MOVIE FRANCHISES

So, let's talk movie franchises today.  What is a franchise?  In this case, to be considered as a franchise there must be three films in a series that are either direct sequels, prequels, or spin-offs.  Transformers would be a franchise because there are three of them.  They don't count for this list because they suck hard robot stick.  Another franchise would be X-Men.  But, it would also have to include X-Men: Origins, The Wolverine, First Class, and Days of Future Past because they all reside in the same franchise universe.  Spider-man and The Amazing Spider-Man do NOT count as a franchise because The Amazing Spider-man is a reboot and not a prequel, sequel, or spin-off.  You see?  So, I'm probably going to get some flack for this list, but I like to get the discussion going.

Movie franchises I didn't include in this list:
1. Star Wars.  Yes, it's true.  I couldn't.  Even though I know that Episodes 4-6 were cinematic brilliance... I still can't overlook Episode 2.  That film is unforgivably awful and therefore not good enough to make the top 5.
2. Lord of the Rings.  I know I may get some shit for this as well, but it's not that I don't appreciate the movies for what they were... they just weren't my cup of tea.  I enjoyed each one the single time I saw them, but they're nothing I am interested in watching again.  I take that into consideration when I talk about "best".
3. Die Hard.  This one hurts the most.  Before that wretched fifth movie came out, this could've been number two on the list.  But because A Good Day To Die Hard went and ruined the good Die Hard name... I'm unable to include it on my list.  It's the same as...
4. The Bourne Series.  Due to that slow and boring Jeremy Renner Bourne film... it doesn't make the list.

NOW!  Let's talk movies, internet!  Here are the top 5.




















5. The Lethal Weapon series.





Taking the place of Die Hard is the nearly-as-good Lethal Weapon series.  I know I've already got a few groans in the house, but go back and watch them.  They're a lot of fun!  The first movie is one of the best action movies of all time.  Then, they add Joe Pesci to the sequel.  Then, they add a love interest for Riggs in the third movie (which, granted isn't the best selling point, but it's got more Pesci).  Then, they add Jet Li as the villain in the fourth movie.  They're fun, they're action-packed, they're funny, and there's not really a weak link in the quadrilogy.  They're best if watched back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

















4. The Evil Dead Trilogy

I have either lost you completely right now or piqued your interest once more.  The Evil Dead trilogy is the best trilogy to watch in succession.  Pick a night, get some candy and soda and get ready to watch the three best comedy-horror movies you'll ever see in your life.  Yes, they're old and dated and some of the effects are a bit campy now, but that's all part of the fun.  The over the top acting from Bruce Campbell... the gallons and gallons of blood that is spilled... the hokey as hell claymation sequences that are supposed to scare the piss out of you... all add to the beauty that is The Evil Dead.  The first film was done by a bunch of college students, but well enough that it got a big budget to make a sequel.  The Evil Dead 2 introduced the world to the mixed genre of comedy and horror, a genre that is not easily accomplished and very rarely pulled off well.  Finally, the almost entirely comedic, yet still fairly violent third entry to the series, Army of Darkness closes the book to this wonderfully disgusting yet equally hilarious trilogy that any horror or comedy fan should own.
















3. The Dark Knight Trilogy

I'm talking about Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series.  And since they constitute a reboot of the franchise instead of a universal extension, I don't have to include Tim Burton's films (which I wouldn't mind making the list) or Joel Schumaker's neon versions (which would've kept them all off if it connected).  Even with the overwhelming influx of superhero movies ever populating our movie theaters, there's no denying that what Christopher Nolan did with the superhero genre wasn't genius.  He was able to take superhero elements and make them as real-worldly and dark as possible.  They weren't superhero movies, they were crime and gangster films featuring a dude in a cape.  He was able to come up with three stellar villains that will live on forever as the best around.  Superhero films forever will try to duplicate the genius that was The Joker and the brilliance that was Bane.  There's not a weak film in the three and they're some of the most enjoyable films to watch.
















2. The Back to the Future Trilogy

Is this even up for discussion?  Is anyone surprised or offended by this choice?  Was everyone going... "I swear to God, he better throw Back to the Future on the list"?  Yes.  These three movies, all directly related to one another are my number two pick.  I probably watch the first one at least once a year and normally if I'm doing that I have to follow it up with the other two.  The writing of the first movie is the most sound writing structurally in cinema.  I even got a review of it published in connotationpress.com.  The way that time travel is handled, with limited plot holes and maximum fun (wow... the gay 80s movie reviewer in me just came out) is what this trilogy is all about.  If you haven't seen them, then you don't even deserve and explanation.  Go buy them and then let's talk.

















1. The Harry Potter Series

A month ago this definitely wouldn't have been number one.   I'm not even sure if this franchise would've even made the list.  I never have been an HP fantatic.  I only read the first four books.  I only saw the movies once, maybe a few of them twice, but only when the next one was coming out so that I could remind myself of what was happening thus far.  It always seemed to me like a teenage thing to enjoy and it was never really my thing.  However, recently I watched all of the movies in succession.  This is something I'd never done before... and I highly recommend it to everyone.  These movies have so much more going for them than a weird british kid who can do magic with a wand.  There is history here, origins, side plots, great characters, brilliant writing, amazing acting, british people, and house elves.  To say that this is the greatest franchise of all time with not one hiccup in eight films is no easy feat to accomplish.  But, since having watched them all, I can say with confidence that it is.  It has made me even want to finish reading the novels.  While Harry Potter may have started out as a kid's book, it evolved into something so revolutionary and mature and exciting that it deserves to be read and watched by anyone who enjoys art.  I wholeheartedly stand by this decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment