Friday, February 15, 2013

The Best and Worst of Upcoming 2013 Spring/Summer Releases


So, January and February suck for movies.  I haven't seen a single trailer for a film in the last few weeks that has made me want to spend my admission fee and get me to the theater.  It's the dumping grounds of shitty movies from big studios.  Yeah, there are some semi-entertaining movies out right now that I'll probably eventually see like Parker, Bullet to the Head, and even A Good Day to Die Hard (Please God don't let it suck).  But, right now, the screens are full of filth.  I'm more inclined to go spend my $10 on watching Django Unchained again. However, do not fret eager moviegoers, there are films on the horizon that will make you want to enter the cineplex and have a good time.  Of course, there are also some more less than desirable films on their way as well.  So, this is what I believe will be worthwhile and what should be avoided in the near future.

Best Upcoming:

March 8: Stoker
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Mia Wasikowska
Dir: Chan-Wook Park 



Stoker looks like a weird little indie thriller that I'm not sure will actually be a good movie based on its premise or trailer, but I have faith in it due to its cast as well as its director.  Chan-Wook Park, director of the foreign film Oldboy has shown his directorial chops.  If Stoker can harness even half of the suspense or energy of Oldboy, then it's sure to be a fun time.




March 8:
Oz: The Great and Powerful
Starring: James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams
Dir: Sam Raimi




I'm hesitant to label Oz as being one of the best because it is perplexing.  I love the cast and just as Stoker, I have a high respect for the director, Sam Raimi, but the trailer is a little disconcerting.  If handled unjustly, it will have the Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland effect where story has been overlooked in favor of some really strange and over-the-top CGI.  If it's just a CGI-fest, then I'll eat my words, but as of right now I will put my faith into the director and cross my fingers that this film will actually be decent.


March 22:
Olympus Has Fallen
Starring: Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman
Dir: Antoine Fuqua



This is where I lose all credibility, don't I?  My opinion comes into question after the last few "best upcoming" descriptions.  Chances are one or two or all of these movies are actually going to suck.  Given Gerard Butler's track record as of late... there's a huge chance it is going to suck.  However, Olympus Has Fallen is essentially Die Hard in the White House.  Regardless of how "good" the movie turns out to be, there's no doubt in my mind that it will be unbelievably entertaining.


March 22:
Admission
Starring: Paul Rudd, Tina Fey
Dir: Paul Weitz



Now, hopefully, you'll trust me a little bit.  Watch the trailer.  It's a Focus Features indie-esque comedy featuring two comedic actors we know for a fact can be extremely funny and given that Focus Features rarely, if ever, provides bad films, there are chances that this movie will be a delightful little gem to get you by the dredges of March.





March 29:
The Place Beyond the Pines
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper
Dir: Derek Cianfrance


This is pretty much a no-brainer.  It's Ryan Gosling, folks.  You show me a bad movie he's been in in the last five years and I'll retract everything I've ever said about him.  Bradley Cooper has finally showed his acting chops.  It does look a little over-dramatic, but I'm willing to bet this is an Academy Award worthy film with Academy Award worthy performances.



April 5:
Evil Dead
Starring: Jane Levy, Jessica Lucas
Dir: Fede Alvarez



READER BEWARE: I have embedded the RED BAND trailer to this film.  Why?  Because it's the trailer that convinced me that this remake wasn't actually a total waste of time.  I seriously LOVE the Evil Dead trilogy.  They're the most fun movies you could ever watch in succession.  Remaking the first one is, for all intents and purposes, a pointless mistake.  However, after seeing the red band trailer, I am now convinced this could be one of the best Horror movies to be released, as well as one of the best remakes to be released, in the last few years.



April 12:
42
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Harrison Ford
Dir: Brian Helgeland



This is legitimately the first (presumably) good movie that I'm excited for in the next few months.  It's sad that April is the month that brings the first respectable movie, but it's closer than awards season at the end of the year.  The story of Jackie Robinson, no matter who is at the helm of the film, will most assuredly be a great baseball film about a great man.




May 3:
Iron Man 3
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pierce, Don Cheadle
Dir: Shane Black




I know for a fact that this movie is going to be the best of the three.  Bold statement, perhaps?  Yes.  Here's why.  Shane Black wrote the movie and directed it.  Shane Black is my favorite screenwriter in all of Hollywood.  His track record is nearly flawless: Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.  There's something unique about these films- they both have a sharp eye for wit and dialogue and they all have stellar action.  Tony Stark, a snarky little sharp-tongued action star is the perfect vehicle for one Mr. Black.  This movie will not suck.  I promise.




May 17:
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, Simon Pegg
Dir: J.J. Abrams



Yeah.  This is also going to be a great film.  Abrams knows what he's doing when it comes to sci-fi.  The previous film was a perfect reboot for the franchise and it looks like they're going balls out for the sequel.  I, for one, am deeply excited for this popcorn flick, and I'm not even that much into science fiction.  Plus, Cumberbatch as the villain looks truly magnificent.




Upcoming Worst:

Well, unfortunately, that seems to be it on the spectrum of decent movies coming out until Summer officially starts.  And though there will be movies headed out that seem neither great nor terrible, these next few are the one's I'd watch out for and, most likely, avoid at all costs.

Feb 22:
Dark Skies
Starring: Keri Russell, Josh Hamilton
Dir: Scott Stewart



Vague title.  February release.  Keri Russell.  Yeah.  You know you're not going to have a hit when people start guffawing in the theater when this trailer is played.  Check it out below.  When Keri starts banging her own head into the sliding glass door... try not to giggle and maybe you'll be okay seeing this film.  Awful.



March 15:
The Call
Starring: Halle Berry, Abagail Breslin, Morris Chestnut
Dir: Brad Anderson



Watch the trailer below.  Good.  Have you finished it?  Good.  Now... that's it.  You've seen the whole movie.  You've seen the chick die at the beginning.  You've seen the new chick get kidnapped.  You've seen the two dudes who try to help get killed.  You've seen her try to escape.  You've seen her returned back to the creepy dude's house.  You've seen Halle Berry run there to save her.  The end.  That's literally the whole movie?  Want your two minutes back?  I don't blame you.


March 15:
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Starring:Steve Carrell, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Alan Arkin
Dir: Don Scardino



This one hurts the most to put on the worst list.  There is nothing that doesn't sound funny about the premise of this movie as well as the stars of the film itself.  However, because the expectations are going to be high, with a cast this funny, but a release date this early, and the fact that the trailer does nothing but make me worried... I have a sad, but strange feeling this movie is going to turn out to be incredibly underwhelming.



March 29:
Tyler Perry's Temptation
Starring: Who Cares?
Dir: Duh.



Do I really have to say anything about this?  "He gon' send you straight ta Hell!"

(I'm also not including a trailer because that would be giving it views.)


April 12:
Scary Movie 5
Starring: Charlie Sheen, Ashley Tisdale
Dir: Malcolm D. Lee



This movie is literally going to be so bad that it doesn't even have a poster.  This is a fan-made poster.  It comes out in less than a month and there is no poster for it.  Posters aside, do you remember the good old days of spoofs and parodies?  I'm talking Airplane!, The Naked Gun trilogy, Hot Shots, Mafia!, Wrongfully Accused, etc.  Then, the Movie movies started.  It killed the parody.  All it did was recreate the exact same scenes the originals used, added a fake celeb cameo, fart joke, or bang on the head.  There's no more cleverness in parody anymore and it has ruined what used to be one of my favorite genres.  Zucker brothers rest in peace.



April 19:
Oblivion
Starring: Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko
Dir: Joseph Kosinski



I could be totally wrong about this one.  However, it's Tom Cruise, it's a little too early for a summer release and it actually kinda looks like crap.  Other than the one scene we get a peek at Morgan Freeman's character, every time I see this trailer I feel more and more disconnected from this movie.  Maybe Cruise has just lost all his star power or appeal or whatever, but I am inclined to believe this is going to be a major flop.



April 26:
The Big Wedding
Starring: Robert DeNiro, Diane Keaton, Susan Surandon, Robin Williams
Dir: Justin Zackham


I'd like to point out on the poster that this movie was scheduled for an October 26 release back in 2012.  It was pushed back to Christmas then subsequently moved to mid 2013.  That's not good, folks.  Due to poor test screenings of average joes going "seriously... this movie sucks donkey turds" instead of saying screw it, they change some stuff, edit some stuff out, add more Robin Williams.  Yeah, it's gonna blow.



May 10:
The Great Gatsby
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire
Dir: Baz Luhrmann



Chastise me all you like for this one, but this movie is going to disappoint you all.  Sure, there are the few out there that think this book is the greatest American novel of ours or any time.  But, that doesn't mean it's going to translate well into film.  Let me tell you, folks, I've read the book.  There's not a lot that actually happens.  It's a slower book.  But, they're trying to make it seem in the trailers like there's murder, intrigue, people stabbing people in the back left and right and all this crazy hoopla, when really.... meh, not so much.  I realize that DiCaprio has an outstanding track record, and I'm sure he'll be excellent in it... I just think this movie is going to disappoint more than its going to excite.


2 comments:

  1. My only wish is that come May, you'll be eating your words with regard to Great Gatsby. I, unlike you actually am a fan of the book. And I think Toby, Carey, and Leo can bring the book to life in a much bigger way than Robert Redford.

    And how dare you put Tyler Perry's Temptation on the worst list. I've never seen a more riveting trailer in my life. Vanessa William's accent from unknown origin, Kim Kardashian's award-worthy acting, and Tyler Perry's near-perfect reputation. This will be THE movie of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Katherine" if that is your real name... I don't know "who" you think you are with your "comments" and your "sarcasm" but you might just be a goddamn genius.

    ReplyDelete